I recently had some problems with Pause/Break Key. What kind of problems? Well, let’s just say it is NOT on my Keyboard. Yep, believe it or not, but some companies build their keyboard without the Pause/Break Key. I used my Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 which runs Windows Vista and it doesn’t have the Pause/Break Key on it and it doesn’t have the Number Pad either. This Pause and Break Key became an issue when I decided to play my Hegemonia game on that Laptop. When I save my progress it Automatically paused the game, so then I am not able to UnPause the game, and either way, it would really hard playing this game without the Pause Key. I also, got worried a little that I needed my Number Pad for controlling the speed of the game.
So, I figured out that I can just use the + Key and – Key to Accelerate and Decelerate the Speed of the Game. But I couldn’t do anything about the Pause key for pausing and unpausing the Hegemonia Game. But then I prayed for God’s help, of course, and started doing some research and spent about 4 or 5 hours until I finally figured out the solution. I was so happy that there was a simple solution, maybe not as simple as I would like it to be, but after I was done, it is pretty much very simple.
I decided that I need to change one of my Keys on my Keyboard into the Pause Key. Some people refer to this method as Remapping Keys. When you’ll be done reading this article, you’ll know how I remapped my Right Alt Key into The Pause Key. The solution for my problem is AutoHotKey, don’t worry I won’t just leave you here without the step by step instructions on how I actually got it to work. But first let me introduce you to this Amazing Free Software.
AutoHotKey is a free, open-source utility software for Windows. With AutoHotKey Software, you can:
- Automate almost anything by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks. You can write a mouse or keyboard macro by hand or use the macro recorder.
– Create hotkeys for keyboard, joystick, and mouse. Virtually any key, button, or combination can become a hotkey.
– Expand abbreviations as you type them. For example, typing “btw” can automatically produce “by the way”.
– Create custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars. See GUI for details.
– Remap keys and buttons on your keyboard, joystick, and mouse.
– Respond to signals from hand-held remote controls via the WinLIRC client script.
– Run existing AutoIt v2 scripts and enhance them with new capabilities.
– Convert any script into an EXE file that can be run on computers that don’t have AutoHotkey installed.
– Change the volume, mute, and other settings of any soundcard.
– Make any window transparent, always-on-top, or alter its shape.
– Use a joystick or keyboard as a mouse.
– Monitor your system. For example, close unwanted windows the moment they appear.
– Retrieve and change the clipboard’s contents, including file names copied from an Explorer window.
– Disable or override Windows’ own shortcut keys such as Win+E and Win+R.
– Alleviate RSI with substitutes for Alt-Tab (using keys, mouse wheel, or buttons).
– Customize the tray icon menu with your own icon, tooltip, menu items, and submenus.
– Display dialog boxes, tooltips, balloon tips, and popup menus to interact with the user.
– Perform scripted actions in response to system shutdown or logoff.
– Detect how long the user has been idle. For example, run CPU intensive tasks only when the user is away.
– Automate game actions by detecting images and pixel colors (this is intended for legitimate uses such as the alleviation of RSI).
– Read, write, and parse text files more easily than in other languages.
– Perform operation(s) upon a set of files that match a wildcard pattern.
– Work with the registry and INI files.
AutoHotKey Home Page is Here. AutoHotKey Tutorials are Here. AutoHotKey Key List, Mouse Buttons, and Joystick Controls are Here. AutoHotKey Free Software is Here. AutoHotKey Forum is Here. Well, okay, let’s get started on the steps I took and that you should take in order to change the Right Alt Key into a Pause Key. I decided to use the Right Alt Key as a Pause Key, because I usually don’t use the Alt Key, but even if I do, I use the Left Alt Key then. So, are you ready, let’s go:
– Download and Install AutoHotKey Software.
– Then go to your Start Menu, then Programs, then AutoHotKey Folder, and open this Program called “AutoHotKey” (the one with “H” icon)
– Now let it save and/or create a file wherever it’s asking to do it at.
– If the icon doesn’t show up yet in the Taskbar which is in the bottom right corner of your screen then go and open the “AutoHotKey” program again, now it should show up in the bottom right corner by your Computer’s clock.
– Right click on that “H” icon in the Taskbar and choose “Edit This Script” option.
– A notepad file should show up, Delete everything from that notepad and only put this code in it:
– Then Save the file and Close it.
– Then Right click on that “H” icon in the Taskbar again and choose “Reload This Script” option.
– Now you are ready to go… Yes, the “H” icon has to be ON at all times whenever you want your Right Alt Key to be used as a Pause key, but when you are done playing a game that needs a Pause Key, then you can just right click on that “H” icon and choose the “Exit” option.
– Then next time when you want to play a game that uses the Pause Key for pausing the game, just make sure that you open this same AutoHotKey program FIRST and then the Game SECOND.
– No, you don’t need to edit the script or reload the program when you open it later on for later uses, because it’s all already saved.
Well, that’s it, let me know if this worked for your Dell Laptop or Computer that didn’t have the Pause/Break Key on its keyboard. Or, if you know someone who is struggling with the same problem, then tell them to give my article a try :)
Filed under: Freeware, Informative, Program Codes · Tags: AutoHotKey, break key, hegemonia, how to add pause key, how to remap keys, keyboard remap, keyboard remapping, pause game, pause hegemonia, pause key, pause/break, pause/break key, remap, remap key, remap keyboard, remap pause key, remapping, remapping keyboard, remapping keys, remapping pause key